I found an article discussing Casio's plans to create blue tooth watches for android phones. These watches will connect to the phone for several features.
The most exciting one is that the watch will actually serve as a caller I.D. as well as a watch. If we are in classes and get a call, we could look at our watch to see who is calling. This also works with emails and text messages.
Another feature that will be beneficial is the "find my phone" feature where it will make your phone buzz.
The one draw back of this is that it only works within 5 meters.
Further details, such as music and sound control are still in the works.
Sadly, we have not heard more specific details on when it will be released.
Here is the link to read more on it.
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2011-01/casios-bluetooth-watch-syncs-android-makes-strong-case-wrist-based-timekeeping
Here is another link to where you can buy a similar watch.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/c16c/

4 comments:
This blue tooth idea is very cool and something I would probably purchase and use. It is good for students in class to see who is calling in case of an emergency without the distraction of a cell phone out. The "find my phone" feature would be very useful. I have a Where's My Droid Application that does the same thing and it has proven itself very useful. It would be a good feature for cell phones that are not application capable.
I'd totally buy this (depending on the price of course). It doesn't make you seem so rude when you just need to glance at your watch as opposed to pulling out your phone. Good find!
I thought it was intereseting that the article started with, "all too many people have ditched the wristwatch in favor of just whipping out their phones to check the time," because I was just thinking about that. Kind of funny that we went from pocket watches, to wrist watches, back to phones which we put in our pockets and often use to check the time. I heard that wrist phones were either already in development, or already out, but I haven't really researched it.
This also would be useful for changing time zones, and keeping accurate. I still wear a watch most of the time, but I find that usually for important dates I'm checking my phone instead of my watch because my phone is always right, since it scyncs up with the towers. Plus if I'm traveling my phone is set to automatically switch time zones, so it might be nice if my watch would keep up.
I have to say the watch on Think Geek is much cooler looking than the Casio one. haha.
That seems like a neat idea. I doubt I would ever use one though. I don't mind reaching into my pocket to check who is calling. I wore a watch for a while, but it seemed somewhat cumbersome. I love the idea (especially the idea of a phone watch; I would feel like a secrete agent), but it woudln't be for me.
Post a Comment