I found this new phone concept that I thought was amazing. What makes it so interesting is that it uses the E-ink found in the Kindle. With its extremely low battery use, energy save mode will bring on a whole new meaning. The article also discusses a way for the E-ink to slowly dim as a way to show how low the battery is getting.
When the phone is in use, it will use the normal back lit display, or the E-ink to conserve battery life.
With how fast smart phones use up battery life, I like the idea of making the display use less energy.
Certain smart phones, such as the Evo, are notorious for last 4-5 hours before needing another charge. Unless you have a charger with you at all times, this would serve as a major problem.
I know I have days where I am at school for longer then 5 hours. If I have a phone that cant even make it a whole day, I could be stuck without a phone.
The one major drawback of the E-ink is that it is only in black and white. They haven't yet been able to create a color E-ink, but when that happens, I believe there will be a new generation of electronic displays. From cell phones to computers, they will all be needing less and less power to function optimally. This would make the batteries we have today become more then needed and lasting days at a time on one charge.
Click Here for the link

2 comments:
I will be really curious to see how they make color e-ink, since the black and white is magnetic spheres which just flip sides...
Still, really cool idea for saving battery!
I wasn't too excited about it until I saw the pictures. It's awesome looking! haha
Post a Comment