Blacker then the Blackest Black Paint!

Posted by Trey Brock On Thursday, February 3, 2011 2 comments

I found this article stumbling and I thought it was a strange idea. Why would NASA want to create a "darker" black material. The current paint that is used in the cameras is Z306, but the paint doesn't absorb enough of the light.  This means that the pictures that require a high definition become unusable. There is a great example of this happening in the article.

The new material is carbon nanotubes and absorbs 99.5% of the light that enters the tiny gaps. This means that light pollution is near eliminated.

This is important for space exploration for several reasons. One is the fact that more detailed pictures of galaxies and planets means better ways to map them. If I were to pick between a picture that has a lot of light blurring or more detailed, I would near aways pick the second one. Even more then that, if we send satellites to explore the outer regions of our solar system and further. Better details can also help scientists discover more about dark matter in our universe.   

Click Here For the Link

2 comments:

Brandi Miller said...

Aww man, now The Rolling Stones will have to repaint everything!

Mallory Cole said...

Nice one Brandi!

This is very cool...I wonder when they will figure out a way to get that extra 0.5 light absorbed?

Post a Comment